Membership in our Accessibility Certification Program (ACP) indicates that your business has an inclusive environment that provides accessibility to all potential customers. Certification is backed with a window decal and indication on our Search & Review platform to convey to the public that the business meets or exceeds our criteria for accessibility. This is currently only open to businesses in Bellingham.
“The amount of people coming with wheelchairs has significantly increased in a manner that I can actually recognize that people have already received the information about Third Planet being an ally and it’s only been two weeks!”Erika Millage, Third Planet Manager
For Small Businesses
We perform an in-person audit of your location. Schedule an onsite evaluation to show that your locations are inclusive and accessible to all.
For Medium/Large Businesses
For businesses with multiple locations, AbiliTrek offers flexible planning. Each location is certified separately. AbiliTrek can help you ensure all your locations are accessible to everyone.
Both small and large businesses can receive a tax deduction for increasing your accessibility! Check out https://adata.org/factsheet/quicktips-tax for more information.
An on-site evaluation will be provided annually for ACP members in order to obtain certification. Certification will be based on meeting the following criteria:
- Bathroom(s):There is a clear, flat path to the bathroom with access to the toilet with grab bars and locks easily reached that can be handled without twisting. Sink area is accessible.
- Entrance(s)/labeled alternate access: Anyone using a mobility aid has a clear path to the entrance, with no stairs and with a small or no gradient. The door is easily opened. If access is via an accessible alternative entrance, it is clearly labeled/unlocked.
- Seating (if any): Anyone using a mobility aid has a clear, accessible path to the seating. The tables (if any) are a typical restaurant-style, not a low coffee table or bistro-style table.
- Service(s): Anyone using a mobility aid has a clear, accessible path to the service provided. Service counters (if any) are at an accessible height for a wheelchair user.
- Closed Captioning: All motion picture sources are captioned.
ACP Member Fees
- Sustainable Connections and Chamber Members: $75.00 per year per location
- Non-Members: $100.00 per year per location
BENEFITS OF OUR SERVICE:
For the community: The community will easily be able to identify which businesses are accessible to the disability community regarding mobility. This will allow many people to know where it is and is not accessible to them.
For you as a business: Your business will be recognized as welcoming to the disability community, receive the program’s member-only quarterly newsletter with inclusive tips, positive press on the AbiliTrek website, and possibly on Sustainable Connections’ website.
Know the Law
Laws protect the civil rights of people with disabilities, including:
- Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
- Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act
- Fair Housing Act (FHA)
- Air Carrier Access Act (ACAA)
Certification ensures you are fully compliant with all applicable accessibility laws.
Protect Your Business
The US Department of Justice has set the precedent that accessibility is a legal right with hundreds of cases based on discrimination within services, housing, employment, and transportation industries.
Contact our team
Let us know you’re interested and we will work with you to help your business improve.